Do You Have a Post-Holiday Workout Plan?
It’s nearly the end of 2021, which means a new year and new resolutions, such as working out so many days a week, getting up earlier to accomplish those workouts, and even trying different types of workouts. Some of you may have all of 2022 planned out, but maybe you’re just beginning to think about how you’re going to tackle your workouts in the new year. We’re here to offer some tips and tricks for those who are looking to get moving in the new year. Specifically, we’ve got tips to start running no matter what shape you’re in right now.
Tips to Start Running
1. Get a Proper Shoe Fitting
We put this tip at the top of the list because it’s the best first step you can take when you want to start running! At St. Pete Running Company, we’ve tailored a one-of-a-kind StrideSmart Shoe Fitting for walkers and runners alike. Our shoe experts take a full body approach to evaluating your gait and stride. And best of all, our in-depth shoe fitting is absolutely free! This evaluation will also help you understand how to properly run, which means avoiding injury as you’re just getting started. We will also have the top running shoe brands in the country for you to get your feet inside to see what shoes will be best for you!
2. Join a Group Run
This is also one of the greatest tips to start running because a Group Run will help you in so many ways! The benefits of joining a running group include:
- Consistency – You’ll have a regular Group Run to attend which will help you stay consistent.
- Accountability – The people in your group will cheer you on and encourage you to keep it up and to keep showing up. That accountability will help you reach your workout goals.
- Community – You’ll be surrounded with like-minded people who are trying to start running and keep running, too. So often this leads to friends who become like family.
At St. Pete Running Company, we have Group Run every Monday and Thursday at 6:30 PM. You’ll find walkers, joggers, and runners who are just like you! All are welcome including those who are fast, slow, and everything in between, so you’ll find people who are at your level no matter what shape you’re in right now. We also have special events like ‘Twas the Run Before Christmas on Christmas Eve morning.
3. Set Reasonable Goals for your Running
This tip is important because unrealistic expectations can lead to injury and burnout, and we want to encourage you to avoid both of those things! What does a reasonable goal for running look like? That questions is extremely personal, but we’ve got some ideas to get you started as you brainstorm how to set goals that will be best for you.
- Start SLOW!! – We can’t emphasize this enough. If you’re just starting out, you might be so excited that you push yourself hard in some of your first workouts, which can actually cause burnout and injury if your body has not yet built up to running certain distances. So not only do we recommend starting at a nice and slow jogging pace, or even walking, but also to select shorter distances at first as a way to gauge where you body is at. Then you can evaluate during your recovery time if you can increase distance and pace at your next workout, or if you need to take it even slower next time.
- Get running advice – At St. Pete Running Company, the shoe experts are thrilled to talk to you about your running goals. You might even consider hiring a running coach, and we have some great people to recommend to you.
- Decide if a race is right for you – For some people, a race is not a goal that you want to pursue, and that’s okay! Races are not for everyone. But for those who are interested in completing a race, some really fun races are right here in Tampa Bay, including the St. Pete Running Company Race For the Cupcake 5K (details of the 2022 race coming soon!!). Setting a race goal also has some great benefits because Race Day = a deadline. Race Day can motivate you to do your workouts and not skip a planned run when a race is coming up and you want to be prepared.
4. Join Us for THIS Group Run >>> Resolution Run on 1/1/2022
At St. Pete Running Company, we have a Group Run to help you if you’re just starting out! Here are the details:
What: Resolution Run 2022 (a free, non-competitive Group Run for all levels, including walkers and joggers)
When: Sunday, January 1st at 9:00 AM
Who: Anyone who wants to kick-off the New Year on the right foot. Bring family and friends, too!
RSVP ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/events/490624598943459
Details about the event: Step into a healthy and happy New Year with a fun WALK or RUN on January 1st. Join St. Pete Running Company, one of America’s Best Running Stores for a free & fun event. Bring your family to join you. Ease into a non-competitive 3 mile run or walk with a group of friendly people who want to be healthy. Whether you’ve never joined a running/walking group or if you’re a seasoned runner, this event will be fun and supportive. This is a free event and we will offer a special discount for all Resolution Runners in store. Also, we will have celebration mimosas at the store after you finish your walk or run. Start your year on the right foot!
If you still have questions about tips to start running, we can help! Come into the store where our shoe experts are ready to provide the high-quality customer service you expect from a Top 50 Running Store in America.