Expert Breakdown of Carbon-Plated Running Shoes
Shoe Guru and All-Around Awesome Guy Greg breaks down the ins and outs of carbon-plated running shoes. Check out the video.
So Here’s What We Learned From Coach Greg
- GET FITTED FIRST – Racing flats with carbon plates are not for every runner. It’s important to get fitted for running shoes in order to evaluate which pair will be best for you. At St. Pete Running Company, our one-of-a-kind StrideSmart Shoe Fitting Process is a free, full body approach that includes gait analysis, stride analysis, and assessment of some key functional movements.
- STIFF AND RESPONSIVE SHOES – Running shoes with carbon plates are stiffer, which means they don’t bend and flex as easily as other running shoes. This allows for maximum responsiveness when your foot pushes off from the ground.
- FAST PACE FOR THE RACE– When race day rolls around again (and it will!), you want a fast shoe to steer you through the race course. If you’re looking to speed up, improve your pace, and/or set a personal best, a great strategy is to wear a racing flat with a carbon plate on race day. This has been tested by people who run regularly, and many bested their times when switching into carbon-plated shoes on race day.
- CHOOSE WISELY – After you get fitted, remember that every shoe is different. Keep in mind what strengths a particular shoe has when selecting a pair with carbon plates. Here are Coach Greg’s suggestions for three models that we carry at St. Pete Running Company.
- Brooks Hyperion Elite – Great race day shoe when looking to PR, especially distances half marathon and below. Also a good option for tempo runs. Not recommended as an everyday trainer.
- Hoka One One Carbon X – Interchangeable as a trainer and a race day shoe. Smooth ride and endures even for ultrarunning.
- Saucony Endorphin Pro – Hybrid shoe that works great when training for a faster distance run, a tempo run, and always a great pick for race day. Throw this shoe in the mix with an everyday trainer.
Come In, Get Your Feet in a Pair, and See What the Fuss is All About
St. Pete Running Company is OPEN
We are working hard to keep our store clean and sanitized for you, our customer family. In accordance with county, city, and CDC guidelines, we require our employees to wear masks. Customers are also asked to wear masks when they come into our store. We provide hand sanitizer when you enter the store and we are limiting the number of patrons in the store at one time.
Please feel free to call us with any questions at 727-800-5043.