Tips on How to Find the Best Running Shoes (and What NOT To Do)
Is there a secret to finding the right pair of running shoes? Some runners are looking for shoes that provide support and comfort while offering advantages like lighter weight and an edge on improved pace and speed. Others want to maximize the level of cushion underfoot to support joints and stability to correct overpronation. But how can you be sure you’re buying the best shoes for you?
There’s a lot of advice out there regarding how to find the best running shoes. Many brands claim to meet the needs of runners through their various models, but before you become overwhelmed with all the options, check out these tips we’ve tailored just for you.
Here are 3 things you DON’T want to do when you’re looking for running shoes:
- Don’t buy your first pair online. The reason this is often a mistake is because you’ve never gotten your feet inside this model and your feet might not like them. Now you’re sorting out the return process instead of getting on your way in the right shoes for you.
- Don’t pick a pair based on someone else’s favorite brand or model. This is because your preferences are likely different, from cushion level to toe box room to overall structure and fit–there are a lot of ways that you and someone else will diverge on what you like and what they like in a running shoe. In many cases, what’s right for someone else isn’t right for you.
- Don’t focus on how the shoe looks. Some shoes might appeal to you because they have a color scheme that you like. However, it’s not a good way to approach running shoes. Keep in mind that on a run, you won’t feel good because your feet are pretty, you’ll feel good because your feet are happy with the way the shoes feel.
5 Things Every Runner Should Know About Finding the Right Shoes
- FEEL THE SHOES IN PERSON– There is a lot to be said about getting your feet inside a pair of shoes before you buy them. Everyone has different preferences, and it’s best to go in person to try on running shoes before making the purchase.
- GET A PROPER SHOE FITTING – There are a variety of factors to consider when buying running shoes, and some of those factors include neutral versus stability shoes, heel to toe drop differentials, cushioning systems and levels, all of which can be explained in detail by a shoe expert at St. Pete Running Company as they walk you through a StrideSmart Shoe Fitting.
- GIVE THE SHOES AT LEAST A WEEK – When you buy a new pair of running shoes, give them a chance to “break in.” What you’re actually doing is letting your feet experience the full effect of the shoes. Keep in mind the first run might feel off if you’ve never tried the model before, but running again 3-4 times in the shoe can help you adjust into what might become your favorite running shoes ever.
- TAKE IT SLOW AT FIRST – While you’re giving the new shoes at least a week, slow down your pace and decrease your typical mileage so that you can adjust to the new pair without overdoing it. Once you recognize that the shoes feel great and the first week has passed, you can return to your normal running routine.
- BE PICKY ABOUT YOUR STORE – While you might find a lot of store options (including online options) when it comes to searching for running shoes, may we humbly suggest that you seek out a running store that specializes in running. St. Pete Running Company is a Top 50 Running Store in America, and we strive to earn that title every day with you, our customer family, by helping you find just the right running shoes for you.
St. Pete Running Company is OPEN
If you’re still wondering how to find the best running shoes, we can help! Come into the store where our shoe experts are ready to provide the high-quality customer service you expect from a Top 50 Running Store in America.
We are working hard to keep our store clean and sanitized for you, our customer family. In accordance with county, city, and CDC guidelines, we require our employees to wear masks. Customers are also asked to wear masks when they come into our store. We provide hand sanitizer when you enter the store and we are limiting the number of patrons in the store at one time.
I enjoyed the post very much. I contains really amazing products about best running shoes and tips to buy best running shoes. Thanks to you for providing these kids of products and information that really helps in making the best choice. Some trainer shoes and smart boots for men also to be considered to increase the range of shoes. Thanks again!
Last week, I decided to start a workout routine, and I want to go running every morning, so I need to find the right shoes for the job. I liked what you said about how your shoes’ looks aren’t everything, and we should focus on comfort, so I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks for the tips on how to find running shoes that fit our feet effectively.