St Pete Running Company is dedicated to runners young and old, experienced or new to running. We are pleased to announce training programs that meet the needs of all levels of experience. We will be offering Track and Speedwork Programs, Half Marathon Training, Triathlon and Duathlon Training, and one on one coaching (see Coaching tab).
St Pete Running Company is proud to present our 9-week Fall Speedwork program. Starting on Sept 20th and ending on Nov 15th, we'll meet on Wednesdays every week. Join us and get prepared for St. Pete Run Fest which takes place the weekend of Nov 18th!
You don't have to be fast to join us for speedwork. All levels of runners and joggers are welcome to come out for weekly workouts.
Speedwork Program on Wednesdays:
We will offer two sessions on Wednesdays:
- Mornings at 5:30 AM. Meet at Northside Christian School (Address: 7777 62nd Ave N, St. Petersburg, FL 33709).
-Evenings 6:30 PM. Meet at Northside Christian School (Address: 7777 62nd Ave N, St. Petersburg, FL 33709) and with some sessions on streets/sidewalks to be announced.
About the Program:
$90 for an 9-week Speedwork Program. Drop-in rate is $15. If you have purchased a Track Pass in the past, you can still use the pass to attend however many sessions remain on your Track Pass.
Join Run St. Pete:
Be sure to join our running club, Run St. Pete. To join you simply need to request to follow the private Facebook Group Run St. Pete and agree to their bylaws.
More Information about Speedwork
We have assembled an expert coaching team to take your running to another level. Attendees should expect to become more efficient & faster at running.
What: Weekly Speedwork lead by expert running coaches.
What to bring: Running Shoes and running clothing. We prefer if you change before you get there but if you’re coming from work you can change in the bathrooms. Also bring water/sports drink, a beach towel, and a snack to eat on the way home after training.
What to expect: We will do a light jog to warm up for 10-15 minutes, followed by some dynamic stretching and easy drills. Don’t worry, we’ll teach you all of this stuff. The coaches will break you into pace groups and you’ll run the workout. Your coach will tell you what paces or “splits” you’ll want to do when they explain the workout for the night. The first week we will have you perform a short time trial so we can assess your fitness and put you into groups so that you have people of your ability to train with.
I’ve never done speedwork before. Am I going to get left behind?
A: No, we will be very instructional and make sure you’re not missing anything.
I’m not very fast. Is speedwork just for sprinters and elite athletes?
A: No, you will benefit from this also. You don’t have to be fast. One common misconception is that all speedwork is sprinting. Realistically one session will entail some easy jogging, walking, medium effort running and also a small amount of hard running. You’ll probably never have to run at a maximal 100% effort.
Is this going to hurt?
A: Sometimes you’ll be running hard enough to where you couldn’t comfortably carry on a conversation. If performed correctly you should be slightly sore after training. This is a good kind of sore and your body will bounce back stronger. You probably won’t be limping around for 3 days after training, that’s not our style.
Can I bring my kids?
A: Yes, we would like for kids to be able to participate as long as they are serious and can reasonably keep up. If they are there to watch only, feel free to bring books, blanket etc.
How do I sign up?
A: You’ll want to come to St. Pete Running Company, 6986 22nd Ave North, St. Petersburg and sign up there. You’ll need to fill out a liability waiver stating that you are in good enough physical condition to be training. If you can’t make it to the store to enroll, simply bring cash or your card to Walter Fuller park on Wednesday. Try to get there by 6:10. Also, you’ll want to join our free club Run St. Pete in order to stay in touch with training opportunities and all the details.
What if I miss a day?
A: If you miss a session, that's okay. We know not everyone can make every week due to conflicts like vacation. Track Passes don't have to be used consecutively. These sessions will roll over into future training programs. Due to the progressive nature of interval training, the best results are usually achieved with consistent training. The more consistent your training is, the more consistent your results will be. But missing a week here and there will not be too much of a hindrance.
A: We still run in the rain and it usually feels great! If there is lightning within proximity we reserve the right to cancel it. Please check the Facebook Group Run St. Pete to be kept up to date with training and how it regards to weather conditions.
Have more questions? Please contact the store at 727-800-5043 or post in the private Facebook Group Run St. Pete.
Half Marathon Training Program
Our Half Marathon Training Program is underway! We'd love for you to join St. Pete Running Company for our training course.
Looking to join? Contact Jimmy.
This is a comprehensive half marathon training program for novice or intermediate runner who want guidance and leadership to help achieve your goal. You don't have to be a veteran runner to benefit from this training group. We'll get you to the finish line confident, healthy & happy.
- This ten-week course commences on Saturday, September 16th at 8:00 AM meeting downtown St. Pete
- The target race is The St. Pete Run Fest Half Marathon on the weekend of November 18th, 2017
- Training will consist of 3 structured & supervised runs each week including a long run, speed workout and easy run.
There are a lot of reasons why you should run a half marathon.
- Accomplishment, physical fitness, weight management through the holidays, injury prevention and most importantly…. It’s FUN!
- Camaraderie from dozens of other like-minded runners.
- Accountability – it’s much easier to make yourself go to training if you know there is a friendly & supportive group waiting for you to join them!
- Guidance: We have an expert team of coaches who will guide you from start to finish. We believe in educating runners so expect to learn a lot about running throughout this course.
Training will take place from St. Pete Running Company, the nearby parks, neighborhoods and the Pinellas Trail.
- Long Run – will vary throughout our area. Plenty will be hosted from our home location of St. Pete Running Company, 6986 22nd Ave North. You will be able to leave your belongings in the store and have bathroom facilities before/during/after training.
- Threshold & Speed Training – This will be integrated into our highly successful track program which meets on Wednesdays at Northside Christian School track.
- Recovery Run – A slow & steady run to help your body recover from the stresses of training. These will take place on Monday nights at St. Pete Running Company or on your own from home.
This program is designed for Novice to Intermediate runners who usually share any/all of these goals.
- Understand the importance of staying healthy and want guidance/leadership to help them achieve their goals.
- Want to tick a half marathon off the bucket list.
- Want to run a faster time than they have ever gone before.
- Hope to enjoy running and make sure they’re not going to get injured.
Participants should be in good health and cleared by a doctor to be able to run. You should be able to complete a 3 mile walk/run before joining the training group. Yes, it’s okay to take walk breaks.
- 10% Discount in store purchases until 11/18/17
- $20 Off St. Pete RunFest
If you have more questions please call the store 727-800-5043 or contact Jimmy.