5 RUNNING SAFETY PRECAUTIONS YOU MIGHT NOT BE TAKING (BUT SHOULD BE) July 06, 2017 08:00
Safety Tips for Runners/Walkers
When you go for a walk or a jog, do you take these safety precautions?
1. Wear an ID
It's very important to have some form of identification, such as an emergency wristband. That way if anything were to happen, your essential information would be readily available.
2. Tell Someone Where You're Going
Be sure to tell a trusted family member or friend the route you will be walking/jogging and your expected return time. If you have a GPS watch with live tracking, don't make that info public, but send it to a close friend or family member.
3. Wear Reflective Gear in Low-Light Conditions
Make it very easy for others (especially drivers) to see you, even if it's during the day.
4. Fuel During Runs Longer than 45 Minutes
On longer runs, don't allow your body to deplete. Fuel with energy gels or other electrolyte replenishers.
5. Plan for Water Stops
Make a route that passes water fountains, or carry water with you to prevent dehydration.
Where to Get Equipped?
Look no further than your local running store!
St. Pete Running Company
6989 22nd Ave N, St. Pete, FL 33710
Mon-Fri: 10AM - 7PM
Sat: 10AM - 6PM
Sun: 12PM - 5PM
Blogger Bria is a customer service manager at St. Pete Running Company.
READY FOR A HALF MARATHON? TRAIN WITH US! July 09, 2016 14:09 1 Comment
Half Marathon Training Program
Want to run a Half Marathon? Join St. Pete Running Company for our Inaugural Half Marathon Training Course. The program is expected to cap at 50 people.
This is a comprehensive half marathon training program for novice or intermediate runners.
- The enrollment begins on Monday, July 11th
- Training with our expert coaching staff commences on Saturday, November 5th
- The target race is The St. Pete Beach Classic Half Marathon on the weekend of January 13-15th, 2017
- Training will consist of 2-3 structured runs each week
There are a lot of reasons why you should run a half marathon.
- Accomplishment, physical fitness, weight management through the holidays, injury prevention and most importantly…. It’s FUN!
- Camaraderie from dozens of other like-minded runners.
- Accountability – it’s much easier to make yourself go to training if you know there is a friendly & supportive group waiting for you to join them!
- Guidance: We have an expert team of coaches who will guide you from start to finish. We believe in educating runners so expect to learn a lot about running throughout this course.
Training will primarily take place in and around St. Pete at Various locations.
- Long Run – will vary throughout our area. Plenty will be hosted from our home location of St. Pete Running Company, 6986 22nd Ave North. You will be able to leave your belongings in the store and have bathroom facilities before/during/after training.
- Threshold & Speed Training – This will be integrated into our highly successful track program which meets on Wednesday nights at Admiral Farragut Academy, 501 Park Street North in St. Petersburg.
- Recovery Run – A slow & steady run to help your body recover from the stresses of training. These will take place on Monday nights at St. Pete Running Company or on your own from home.
This program is designed for Novice to Intermediate runners who usually share any/all of these goals.
- Understand the importance of staying healthy and want guidance/leadership to help them achieve their goals.
- Want to tick a half marathon off the bucket list.
- Want to run a faster time than they have ever gone before.
- Hope to enjoy running and make sure they’re not going to get injured.
Here's a clip from our Wednesday Night Track Program
Participants should be in good health and cleared by a doctor to be able to run. You should be able to complete a 3 mile walk/run before joining the training group. Yes, it’s okay to take walk breaks.
Cost: $250 (Pre-enrollment rate is $199 if purchased prior to 11/5--that's only $20 a week!)
- 10% Discount in store purchases until 1/15/17
- Caps at 50 people
Find Out More at our Info SeminarsHalf Marathon Info Seminar: Find out more and get your questions answered at these three Info Seminars
- Tuesday, Aug 9th at 6:00 PM
- Monday, Sept 12th at 6:00 PM
- Thursday, Oct 27th at 6:00 PM
WANT TO TRY RUNNING ON A TRACK? HERE'S YOUR CHANCE! June 21, 2016 20:59 1 Comment
Come Try Track Training for Free on June 22nd
We recently started a Track Training Program and we are delighted by how well it's going. People are having fun, working hard and already seeing results.Come out Weds, June 22nd at 6:30 PM for a free session!First timers, please arrive by 6:15 or sooner.Location: Admiral Farragut Academy Track, 501 Park Street North, St. Petersburg, FL.
Read on to see what participants have to say about our Track Program.
"Track workout is VERY well structured. I'm running faster than I thought I would. My goal is to do a 5K in less than 30 minutes. This workout is going to help me achieve that. The whole environment with all the camaraderie is supportive. That's what I like best. Meeting great people." ~Donna
Here is what people have to say about our program.
"This is my first time at track workout and it is fantastic. It helps to have other runners around. The people are so friendly and helpful." ~Sue
"I love it. The Coaches are the best. They believe in us." ~VJ
"I come every week. I've never run on a track before and it's definitely the best surface to run on. I finally learned what a 400 is. This workout is making me run faster. Well worth it." ~Richard"I'm enjoying it very much. I haven't run on a track in 30 years, and I missed it. I'll be coming out every time as long as the program is going. Helps me run fast. I love it." ~Jonathan
"This is my first time at track workout. Great coaches and speedwork. This has helped push me more than I would've pushed myself. I like having someone to chase." ~Lisa
"I've been coming every week. It's great and I'm loving it. With everybody here, I can keep going. Someday I'm gonna be as fast as Coach Cody and Coach Chris." ~Bob
"I feel pushed to succeed, but not out of my comfort zone. Track workout gives me a great sense of pride. I just like running with others." ~Sam
Blogger Bria works at St. Pete Running Company as a customer service manager.
7 TIPS FOR RUNNERS IN A RUT June 15, 2016 12:57
Stuck in the Middle?
Advice for the Mid-Level Runner
Have you noticed that as time goes on, it gets harder to get faster? Early in our running careers, the gains come easy and often. Later on, it gets tougher.
Here are 7 Tips for Intermediate Runners that will help push you along:
- Change Things Up - If you fall into a rut or routine, find ways to change it up to prevent a lack of improvement.
- Make Recovery a Priority - When it comes to running, recovery is very important. Don't push yourself into exhaustion. Make time for recovery.
- Get the Necessary Tools - You're no longer a newbie, so get what you need to succeed as a runner. Foam rollers and Compression Apparel are essential for serious runners who want to prevent injury and recover from sore muscles.
- Alternate your Shoes - One pair of shoes should be for shorter runs and one should be for longer runs. Check out THIS BLOG to find out more.
- Make Realistic Goals - Don't compare yourself to "old" you from a few years ago. We are older now than we've ever been before. That might mean adjusting workouts accordingly.
- Be Prepared to Change Shoes - Just because you've always worn a certain shoe doesn't mean it will always work for you. Be prepared to try out other shoes that might be better for you as you evolve as a runner.
- Be Happy with Who You Are - Don't worry about what other people think. Unless you're a professional runner, your race times don't define who you are (even then, they only define your professional ranking). Be proud of your daily running accomplishments.
Blogger Bria works at St. Pete Running Company as a customer service manager.
5 REASONS TO JOIN A RUNNING CLUB June 15, 2016 12:57
Ready to Become a Better Runner?
Get Motivated with People Like You!
How does joining a Running Club help you and your running?
You'll have people supporting you and encouraging you.2. Avoid Injury
With expert coaching, you can learn proper techniques.
3. Get Faster
With scheduled training and consistency, you'll begin to notice your race times decreasing.
4. Gain Confidence
With expert coaching, encouragement, and support, you'll discover that you're not only a capable runner, but that your improvement will increase your confidence in yourself.
5. Enjoy the Fun
What they say is true: Runners in a group have more fun!
Join Run St. Pete
Ready to join a running club? Then visit Run St. Pete, a private Facebook Group that you can request to join. Group membership is free.
Check out the St. Pete Running Company Track Program
When: Wednesday Evenings 6:30 PM (arrive at least 15 minutes early)
Where: Admiral Farragut Academy ()
Cost: $15 per session or buy a pass. (5 sessions $50, 11 sessions for $99 +you get a $30 jug of Gatorade Endurance Formula )
Questions? Contact the store or post your questions on the Run St. Pete Group Page.
- Page 1 of 3