YOU ASKED FOR A 10K TRAINING PROGRAM AND WE'VE GOT ONE! October 07, 2017 14:00
Ready to Start Training For a 10K?
Join Our 10K Training Program
Want to run a 10K? Join St. Pete Running Company for our 6-week 10K Training Course. The program caps at 50 people.
10K Training Info Seminars:
Find out more and get your questions answered
Thursday, October 19th at 6:00 PM
Thursday, November 16th at 6:00 PM
at St. Pete Running Company
This is a comprehensive training program for novice or intermediate runners who want guidance and leadership to help achieve your 10K goal. You don't have to be a veteran runner to benefit from this training group. We'll get you to the finish line confident, healthy & happy.
- This six-week course commences on Saturday, December 2nd at 9:00 AM, meeting at St Pete Running Company.
- The target race is St. Pete Beach Classic on the weekend of January 13th, 2018.
- Training will consist of 3 structured & supervised runs each week including a long run, speed workout and tempo run.
There are a lot of reasons why you should run a 10K.
- Accomplishment, physical fitness, weight management through the holidays, injury prevention and most importantly…. It’s FUN!
- Camaraderie from dozens of other like-minded runners.
- Ease Into Longer Distances - a 10K can help you become more confident in your ability to do longer distances like 15K, half marathon, and full marathon
- Accountability – it’s much easier to make yourself go to training if you know there is a friendly & supportive group waiting for you to join them!
- Guidance: We have an expert team of coaches who will guide you from start to finish. We believe in educating runners so expect to learn a lot about running throughout this course.
Training will take place from St. Pete Running Company, the nearby parks, neighborhoods and the Pinellas Trail.
- Long Run – will vary throughout our area. Plenty will be hosted from our home location of St. Pete Running Company, 6986 22nd Ave North. You will be able to leave your belongings in the store and have bathroom facilities before/during/after training.
- Threshold & Speed Training – This will be integrated into our highly successful track program which meets on Wednesdays at Northside Christian School track.
- Tempo Run – A shorter run that starts at an easy, relaxed pace and gradually increases into a race-pace effort. These will take place on Monday nights at St. Pete Running Company or on your own from home.
This program is designed for Novice to Intermediate runners who usually share any/all of these goals.
Understand the importance of staying healthy and want guidance/leadership to help them achieve their goals.
Want to tick a 10K off the bucket list.
Want to run a faster time than they have ever gone before.
Hope to enjoy running and make sure they’re not going to get injured.
Here's a clip from our Wednesday Track Program
Participants should be in good health and cleared by a doctor to be able to run. You should be able to complete a 3 mile walk/run before joining the training group. Yes, it’s okay to take walk breaks.
- Discount for your St. Pete Beach Classic race entry
- 10% Discount in store purchases until 1/14/18
If you have more questions please call the store 727-800-5043 or contact Coach Jimmy.
Blogger Bria is a customer service manager at St. Pete Running Company.
3 REASONS TO JOIN ST. PETE RUNNING COMPANY'S COUCH TO 5K January 08, 2017 13:02
Ready to Run a 5K?
We've Got a Training Group Just For You!
Start reaching for your 2017 running goals and join us for our Couch to 5K Training Group.
Here are 3 reasons to join our Couch to 5K Training Program
1. Includes Your Race Entry For the Race For the Cupcake 5K
2. Train With Experts
3. Join a Group of People Who Will Motivate and Encourage You
What You Need to Know About the Couch to 5K Training ProgramStarting Saturday, February 4th at 9:00 AM at St. Pete Running Company, you'll learn some running basics and get moving with a fun group! This training group will prepare you for the Race for the Cupcake 5K.
Cost: $99.99 which includes your entry into the Race for the Cupcake 5K on March 4, 2017. ALL PARTICIPANTS RECEIVE 10% DISCOUNT IN THE STORE. Cost also includes training from expert coaches.
LIMITED TO 50 PEOPLE! So be sure to sign up early by stopping by the store or calling (727-800-5043) to make sure you secure a spot!
Weekly Workouts: Our workouts will be Mondays at 6:30 PM, Wednesdays at either 5:30 AM or 6:30 PM (dependent on your schedule), and Saturdays at 9:00 AM.
Must be in good health and able to handle exercise.
Bring your smiling faces, running clothes, running shoes and a water bottle.
The premise behind this program is simple: to introduce you to regular jogging, running/walking sessions, help you get fit, and to have fun.
If you have any questions please contact the store 727.800.5043 or email Jimmy.
The 2nd Annual Race for the Cupcake 5K takes place Saturday, March 4, 2017 at Pass-A-Grille Beach. This race is a ton of fun! And you get a cupcake at the finish! This 5K will be on the "sugary" sands of Pass-a-Grille Beach, Florida!
The race will cap at 600 participants, be sure to sign up soon.
Also, there will be a free kids 400 meter dash on the sand, this is a free event for young kids to participate in.
All registrants will receive a technical running hat, and a cupcake upon completion of the race. Click here to sign up.
Blogger Bria is a customer service manager at St. Pete Running Company.
HOW TAPERING WILL PREPARE YOU FOR RACE DAY November 28, 2016 19:00
What You Need to Know About Tapering
Race season has begun and that means it’s time to plan for this valuable aspect of race preparation:
When your race is looming, it’s important to be prepared. Tapering is part of the training process and will help maximize your race day success.
What is Tapering?
Coach Jimmy Williams, a running and triathlon coach, puts tapering this way:
“Tapering is a gradual decrease in activity duration and intensity to ensure you are in prime condition come race day. Racing is the easy part. Training is the hard part. Training requires progressive loading and recovery cycles over weeks and sometimes months before a race. Tapering can be done as far out as three weeks and as little as three days depending on the race distance. When done correctly, tapering gives an athlete the best chance to earn a personal record at their race and avoid injury from over-training.”
How to Properly Taper For Your Race
Here’s a scenario:
Runner Ron’s next half marathon is two weeks away. In Ron’s training plan, he has scheduled workouts ranging from 5-10 miles all the way up to race day. How can Ron better prepare for a successful half marathon? Tapering! Ron can plan on decreasing his mileage prior to his half marathon.
Here are Coach Jimmy's suggestions for Ron:
Two weeks prior to his half marathon, Ron should look to decrease his weekly mileage by 20%. This means that Ron's long run should decrease from 10 miles to 8 miles, and each shorter run should also decrease accordingly. The week before the race, his long run should be no more than 6 miles. I would also tell Ron to not take the day off before the half marathon. We need to activate our muscles before a race rather than let them get stiff from inactivity. Ron should go out for an easy 2-mile run and throw in one or two short race-pace bursts that last for a minute or less.
What Are the Benefits of Tapering?
Tapering decreases the likelihood of injury. Rested, relaxed, and loosened muscles perform much better than tired muscles.
Over-exertion prior to a race, especially a half marathon, can cause your race day performance to suffer. Tapering guides your body through easy and light workouts, a process that will assist your body’s natural tendency to store up for race day.
The best benefit of all? Your full potential can be unleashed on the race course. Many athletes have seen better race times as a result of proper tapering.
Blogger Bria works at St. Pete Running Company as a customer service manager.