WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THIS SHOE COMPANY? October 25, 2019 08:00 25 Comments
Newton Running Shoes
What's Up With Newton Running These Days?
These running shoes are here to stay! After some rocky stops and starts, Newton Running is going strong. We have 3 reasons to love this running shoe brand, and if you've never tried Newton, we suggest you stop by our store and check it out.
Where Newton Has Been
- Remember when the natural running trends first started circa 2008? Newton helped start that trend.
- A rocky point occurred when part of the company was purchased by a venture capitalist who wanted to make the brand mainstream. That didn't work out.
- One of two original founders, Jerry Lee, purchased back Newton and has helped resurrect them.
- Newton has since returned to its roots: focusing on a springy, lightweight shoe that dedicated runners revere.
3 Reasons to Get Your Feet in Newton
1. BREATHABLE UPPER & LIGHTWEIGHT - Newtons are designed with a roomy toebox and breathable materials. While the POP platform has a great cushioning system, the shoes are more lightweight than similar competitors.
2. POP PLATFORM - Unique to Newton running shoes, the POP platform gives that springy push-off from the midfoot. It helps quicken your cadence so you have less contact with the ground. The level platform encourages better posture while harnessing the elastic recoil of your lower legs and fascia. Meaning you're quicker off the ground, too.
3. ENCOURAGES MIDFOOT STRIKE - The POP platform is designed to cover the midsole of your foot, and so the push-off is most beneficial when runners land on the midfoot and then give a "kiss" with the heel briefly touching the ground. Keep in mind there is no right or wrong in midfoot versus heel striking when your overall form is correct (knees are over your feet from the side view for example). We recommend a StrideSmart shoe fitting at our store to check your stride.
Women's Gravity 8
Women's Fate 5
Men's Gravity 8
Men's Fate 5
Proud to Carry Newtons Since 2014
Since day one, St. Pete Running Company has carried Newton running shoes in store. We love these shoes. But don't just take our word for it. Come in, let us take you through our one-of-a-kind StrideSmart Shoe Fitting process, and then you can test out the shoes to see how they feel on your feet.
We're excited for you to try it!
Buy Newtons at St. Pete Running Company
Blogger Bria is a Customer Service Manager at St. Pete Running Company.
5 RUNNING SAFETY PRECAUTIONS YOU MIGHT NOT BE TAKING (BUT SHOULD BE) July 6, 2017 08:00
Safety Tips for Runners/Walkers
When you go for a walk or a jog, do you take these safety precautions?
1. Wear an ID
It's very important to have some form of identification, such as an emergency wristband. That way if anything were to happen, your essential information would be readily available.
2. Tell Someone Where You're Going
Be sure to tell a trusted family member or friend the route you will be walking/jogging and your expected return time. If you have a GPS watch with live tracking, don't make that info public, but send it to a close friend or family member.
3. Wear Reflective Gear in Low-Light Conditions
Make it very easy for others (especially drivers) to see you, even if it's during the day.
4. Fuel During Runs Longer than 45 Minutes
On longer runs, don't allow your body to deplete. Fuel with energy gels or other electrolyte replenishers.
5. Plan for Water Stops
Make a route that passes water fountains, or carry water with you to prevent dehydration.
Where to Get Equipped?
Look no further than your local running store!
St. Pete Running Company
6989 22nd Ave N, St. Pete, FL 33710
Mon-Fri: 10AM - 7PM
Sat: 10AM - 6PM
Sun: 12PM - 5PM
Blogger Bria is a customer service manager at St. Pete Running Company.
THE SECRET TO INCREASING YOUR RANGE OF MOTION July 6, 2016 16:13
Injured? Limited Functional Mobility? Try Ki-Hara.
Karen Gonzalez employing Ki-Hara method on Cody Angell
Physical Therapist in Store July 14th
Karen Gonzalez will be seeing clients on Thursday, July 14th starting at 4:30 PM at St. Pete Running Company. Make your appointment today for your 30-minute session before the slots fill up! Cost is only $30 for expert advice and a demonstration of Ki-Hara. Call her at 727-481-1694 to schedule your session.
Karen Gonzalez has been a registered physical therapist for 20 years. She's a Certified Ki-Hara Master Trainer and a Certified Level I Track and Field Coach with the USATF specializing in proper mechanics and treatment of injuries.
What is Ki-Hara?
Ki-Hara is an exercise system involving resistance stretching. Olympians and pro-athletes have attributed success to their stringent Ki-Hara training.
Benefits of Ki-Hara include:
- Increased Range of Motion
- Improvement of Functional Mobility
- Recovery and Decreased Muscle Soreness
To find out more about Karen's expertise, visit her website.
Blogger Bria works at St. Pete Running Company as a customer service manager.
WANT TO TRY RUNNING ON A TRACK? HERE'S YOUR CHANCE! June 21, 2016 20:59 1 Comment
Come Try Track Training for Free on June 22nd
We recently started a Track Training Program and we are delighted by how well it's going. People are having fun, working hard and already seeing results.Come out Weds, June 22nd at 6:30 PM for a free session!First timers, please arrive by 6:15 or sooner.Location: Admiral Farragut Academy Track, 501 Park Street North, St. Petersburg, FL.
Read on to see what participants have to say about our Track Program.
"Track workout is VERY well structured. I'm running faster than I thought I would. My goal is to do a 5K in less than 30 minutes. This workout is going to help me achieve that. The whole environment with all the camaraderie is supportive. That's what I like best. Meeting great people." ~Donna
Here is what people have to say about our program.
"This is my first time at track workout and it is fantastic. It helps to have other runners around. The people are so friendly and helpful." ~Sue
"I love it. The Coaches are the best. They believe in us." ~VJ
"I come every week. I've never run on a track before and it's definitely the best surface to run on. I finally learned what a 400 is. This workout is making me run faster. Well worth it." ~Richard"I'm enjoying it very much. I haven't run on a track in 30 years, and I missed it. I'll be coming out every time as long as the program is going. Helps me run fast. I love it." ~Jonathan
"This is my first time at track workout. Great coaches and speedwork. This has helped push me more than I would've pushed myself. I like having someone to chase." ~Lisa
"I've been coming every week. It's great and I'm loving it. With everybody here, I can keep going. Someday I'm gonna be as fast as Coach Cody and Coach Chris." ~Bob
"I feel pushed to succeed, but not out of my comfort zone. Track workout gives me a great sense of pride. I just like running with others." ~Sam
Blogger Bria works at St. Pete Running Company as a customer service manager.
CHAMPIONS BREAKFAST WITH AN OLYMPIAN June 8, 2016 11:25
Champions Breakfast with Todd Williams
Join us at one of St. Pete’s iconic venues for a one of a kind running event.
Go for a training run along the beach with Olympic Runner Todd Williams. Then, take a RunSafer class. Todd has developed a class which instructs you on what to do if you’re attacked. After that, have breakfast. This fun and informative event will cap at 100 people.
When: Saturday, July 16th 8:00AM
First, we will have a 20-30 min group run on the beach with Olympic Runner Todd Williams. This group run/walk is for people of all abilities.
Then we will have a Runsafer class on the sand. RunSafer is a program created by Todd Williams. This class will teach you safety techniques and tips to help protect yourself in a dangerous situation. Click here to learn more about Runsafer. http://www.runsafer.com/
We will finish with a breakfast and Q&A with Todd Williams. Todd will be tell you about his fun, and fascinating journey while running and training. We will be having an all you can eat breakfast at Caddy's on the Beach. There will be food, fun & camaraderie and plenty of giveaways.
Where: Caddy’s on the Beach 9000 West Gulf Boulevard, Treasure Island, FL 33706
- A Run along the beach with friends and also a former Olympic Runner.
- A Self Defense class that might save yours or someone elses life.
- All you can eat breakfast.
- A $20 ASICS Gift Card to spend at St. Pete Running Company
- A 3-pack of Running socks valued at $20
How to sign up: Click here to register or stop by St Pete Running Company.
About Todd Williams: Todd qualified for two Olympic Games 1992-1996 in the 10k and won twenty one US titles on the road, track and cross country course. His talent and hard work gave him the opportunity to compete all over the world against the best. After retiring from the professional running stage Todd decided to challenge himself in the world of Martial Arts. He chose Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because he was told it was a very challenging, goal oriented art and would keep him very strong and fit. Well eight years later and countless hours studying and training Todd received his black belt in Jiu Jitsu.
- Page 1 of 4