5 ESSENTIALS FOR RECOVERY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU May 15, 2018 10:03
What To Do After a Run, Walk or Gym Workout
5 Essentials for Recovery
After a workout, these five essentials can help you maximize your recovery time, leading to improved performance and quicker returns to your next workout. And some of them may surprise you!
1. OOFOS - Our first suggestion is to take off your running shoes and put on a pair of Oofos Sandals. These recovery flip flops are ideal for your feet after a walk, run, or gym workout. The arch support will give your feet time to transition from the workout and help with recovery.
2. HYDRATION - We can't stress this enough. Stay hydrated!! Especially after a workout, take in some electrolyte fluids to replenish what your body has lost during the run, walk, or gym conditioning. Water is important throughout the entire day whether you've done a workout that day or not.
3. FOAM ROLLING - The best thing you can do for your muscles before and after a workout is foam rolling. If you're new to foam rolling, start out with a few minutes on sore muscles and feel the awesome effects of foam rolling recovery which include releasing lactic acid and smoothing out muscle knots for improved performance. We've also got foam rolling classes! Check out our EVENTS page to see when the next foam rolling class or Run and Roll takes place.
4. CARB & PROTEIN INTAKE - Eating carbs and protein after a workout will significantly help with recovery. Carbs will get your energy back and protein will help rebuild muscles. Shoot for about 20 grams of protein post-workout. Especially if you have dietary restrictions, make sure to find ways to replenish what you burned.
5. COMPRESSION - During and after a workout, compression is a great way to increase blood circulation and decrease muscle oscillation. In simple terms, compression makes you feel less sore. Whether you choose to wear compression during or after the workout, there is a great recovery benefit to compression tights, shorts, and socks.
Come in to St. Pete Running Company
and Get Your Recovery Essentials
Blogger Bria is a customer service manager at St. Pete Running Company.